Being an Extra
• An "Extra" is a performer who is in the "background" for a movie, television show, etc... hence the term, "Background Performer".
• It is occasional work, on an 'on-call' basis. The busy season in the GTA is typically spring and summer, and often into the fall.
• It is the Casting Directors who tell us the types of people that they need for a particular scene - we then submit the appropriate clients for consideration. We promote all of our clients, or "talent" equally - but remember it is the Casting Directors who have the final say.
• You could be on set anywhere from a couple of hours to 16 hours or more!!! So you MUST be flexible and be available for the entire shoot. They do not know how long they will need you on set until they are done - so don't ask them! Shooting can take place during the day OR night! The production company will pay you for a minimum of 8 hours (so if you are there for 8 hours or less, you'll still get paid for 8 - which is fantastic) Of course if you're on set longer than 8 hours (which is much more typical) then you get paid for the actual time you are there (less an hour for lunch - which they usually provide for you!).
•As per the IPA the current hourly rate the productions pay for non-union/AABP BG performers on a union shoot has now been increased in order to meet the new minimum wage guidelines of $14.00/hr (minimum of $112.00/day).
• We are looking for people who are flexible, reliable and have an outstanding work ethic.
• You MUST have a valid SIN number and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• We are currently and selectively accepting both ADULT non-union talent aged 18- 85, and all types. No experience is required, however you must be reliable with a great attitude! We will accept ACTRA members of any age.
• **NEW IN 2018*** We are excited to announce that we are now accepting KIDS onto our roster, both ACTRA and non union! Registration fees are completely WAIVED for any children 17yrs or younger (absolutely free to join our roster, regardless of union status, including your child's personal profile on our comprehensive database.) Email us for further details.
Mandatory Ontario Health and Safety Requirements
PERFORMERS PLEASE NOTE: As of July 1, 2014, the Ontario Government now requires Health and Safety Awareness Training for ALL workers, including Union and Non Union Performers. This is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT and is MANDATORY! You will be asked to produce this certificate before commencing work. If you do not have your certificate, ability to work WILL be affected... (The online course/training module will take you 30-45 minutes to complete) Please confirm to the Agency once you have completed this and have your certificate - you may email us a copy for backup purposes (we will not be keeping hardcopies). You will be required to take a hard copy on each set with you. Go here.
Please see our Registration Page for more information on registering with our Agency.